Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Useless Clatter..."Slow Jam News" Jimmy Fallon feat. Barack Obama

      I almost didn't post this because in my head I wasn't sure if I considered this music.  Up there with the Black Keys and Beach House, I thought this video wouldn't fit well with the original reasons I started a blog on in the first place.  I was also telling myself that posting this video would be partaking in the on-going interet war on politics.  And the last thing I want to be is political.  But what the heck, this is hilarious. Besides, if I really wanted to I could just go ahead and tag this as The Roots.  And this was too good to pass up.  
      On his show "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon," Fallon hosts a recurring segment called "Slow Jam The News" in which he delivers the week's tops stories to the back beat of hip hop artists The Roots.  Its gotta nice little groove to it and yesterday President Obama payed the NBC studios a visit and did the song with Fallon and the Roots live on Late Night.  The President used his time in the song to talk about his promise to keep students loans down after recent news has resurfaced surrounding the oncoming July 1 expiration date of Stafford Loans, the country's largest federal student lending program.  This would result in an increase in student loan prices, up to a $1,000s more.
      Whether you like him or not, you have to admit he  delivered it here along with The Roots and their groovy rendition of "Hail to the Chief."  Those guys can really break it down.  Despite the humorous intention of the skit, the President was still touching on some very serious issues.  He  hardly cracking a smile at Fallon's remarks, "Preezy of the United Steezy" and "the Barackness Monster." He is pretty cool.
      "Lets keep the rates down on college loans," spelled out in a slow jam by President Obama himself.  I'm with you on that Mr. President.  [I didn't want to mention his squeak at the end, but its there: 4:28]

                       

2 comments:

  1. I love this, Jimmy Fallon always comes up with great ideas! I also like his sketch with Timberlake, the History of Hip Hop, is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah totally, he's great with late night. i hope you've seen his "do not read lists," they're terrific: http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/do-not-read-list-7-16-12/1409902

      Delete