Sunday, March 11, 2012

Useless Clatter...Best Coast Unveils Artwork For Upcoming Album

      Bethany Cosentino takes everything us non-Californians crave during these cold winter months and shoves it in our faces.  You and I both know we would too if we lived in sunshine all year round.  But we don't.    We see snow.  Seriously, I feel like the only time I ever see those "Visit California" commercials on TV is during the dead of winter.  Sometimes they really are tough to watch. And I have to admit when Best Coast shuffles its way into my ear-buds during these cold months I have to press next because I know that when I walk out the door I won't be wearing sandals, holding a surfboard on my way to the beach.
      But despite the envy and seasonal ignoring I embark on every winter with Best Coast, that can all end soon enough.  And I really shouldn't be complaining because this has been one of the warmest winters on record but, nonetheless when I wake up, I'm not in California.  And its perfect timing for Bethany and company to release the some news about their forthcoming sophomore album titled "The Only Place" [I wonder what that's a reference too...]  The album comes out May 14th and recently Bethany has been so kind as to release the album's and art work.
      Now if you call yourself a Best Coast fan and can think back to what appeared on the cover of their first album, "Crazy For You" it was quite stereo-typically stoner Californian all the way- a beach with palm trees and a sunset, a cat with an outline of California on its hind legs and a map of Southern Cal within the block type print of the band's name at the top of the cover.  We all also know through various interviews that Bethany does have a weird obsession with cats, so in turn, I was shocked to find a large bear take center stage of "The Only Place."  Its quite different than the previous cover for that matter.  The vibrant red yellow green theme has been replaced for a more conservative tan and brown colorway.   If you want to get even more Freud with this, could it be a sign of big changes in the band's signature sound?  
     I hope not and I seriously doubt it.  Sure the album cover isn't as flashy as before, there's no cat on the cover but the bear is very reassuring.  I sense that through its "bear hugging" of California that Bethany still has her priorities right.  She loves California and we love listening to her remind us of it, so I don't sense anything too drastic in the near future.  
     Best Coast hasn't released any singles from the upcoming album, but when they do, I'll be ready with a post and a tweet.  In the mean time, anyone falling upon this post who is not familiar with Best Coast, I posted some songs from the first album below the artwork to give you a small sample.  Feel free to give your thoughts and opinions in the comments below
+I just realized how much I managed to write about a simple cover unveiling.  Am I over indulging with spring [summer] fever?
+  Best Coast's second album "The Only Place" comes out May 14th


"Crazy For You" and "The End" from Best Coast's 1st album "Crazy For You"





No comments:

Post a Comment