Monday, April 2, 2012

Useless Clatter...New Category For '"Review"'

In my experience, when an artist of my liking comes out with a new album I always seek it out, regardless of what critics say.  Whether Pitchfork or Rolling Stone give it a 9 or a 3 doesn’t matter because in most cases, my previous attachment to the band gives me reason to accepting the new material regardless of public opinion. 
      That being said, I am introducing a new category on TUNEclatter titled “Review.”  It’s important that the word contain those quotations because as I previously stated, I don’t stand by reviews of music as much as I do for movies.  What I will begin to attempt with this new category is not to give the album a rating as much as I would like to comment on the new material in terms of its sound comparison with the artist’s previously released album. 
      On my other blog, FILMclatter, I have a category titled ‘Why See This’ in which I state the reasons why I believe a particular movie is worth seeing.  In other words, I would rather just promote the movies and music I love as opposed to giving a mark of criticism to everything I can.  There are plenty of people out there doing the same thing, so I see any effort of my own to be rather trivial. 
      Above all though, I have always found myself interested in looking at the particular change in style a band encompasses over the years and therefore feel that comparing albums in that matter is a much more noteworthy thing for me to write about as opposed to shelling out the 100th review of an album months after its release. 


+ The first albums that will be “reviewed” then will be from the San Francisco indie band, Girls. Their two albums being Father, Son, Holy Ghost from last September and their debut feature, Album, from 2010.


No comments:

Post a Comment